Maple Leafs vs Blackhawks - Game Notes/Stats Recap
A strong first period in which the Leafs scored three goals would not be enough for them to break out of their slump, as the Chicago Blackhawks scored four straight goals to pick up a 5-4 victory, giving Toronto their tenth loss in eleven games.
- It’s the Leafs sixth straight loss. They remains four points back of the Capitals for the eighth and final playoff spot.
- Tyler Bozak’s goala at just 59 seconds into the game, marked the first time in six games the Leafs registered the first goal of the game, dating back to their last victory as well on Feb. 15 against the Edmonton Oilers
- Clarke MacArthur’s goal to make it 3-1 was his 19th goal of the season and first in four games
- The Leafs’ three goal effort in the first period marked just the fourth time this season that they have scored three goals in the opening frame. The last time they did so was in a 4-3 win over the Detroit Red Wings on Jan. 7
- Mike Brown scored a late goal with four seconds remaining in the game; his second of the season and first in 33 games dating back to Oct. 27
- Gustavsson allowed four goals on 34 shots for his fifth loss in a row, dropping his record to 16-13-2 this season
- The month of February was not kind to either netminders. Gustavsson went 0-3-1 with an .850 save percentage, while James Reimer posted a 4-6-0 record with a 3.19 goals-against average and .901 save percentage
- Leafs finish with NHL’s worst record in February (4-9-1). It’s the first time they’ve held that distinction since October of 2009 (1-7-4)
- Prior to Brown’s goal - Leafs have only scored at least one third-period goal in six consecutive games. That bring said, they have allowed just 4 goals over their last 6 third periods. They’ve held their opponents without a goal 3 times
- Leafs have now allowed 42 goals over their last ten games - it’s the most in a ten-game span for them since October, 2009 (42). 42 goals allowed over 10 games matches the worst 10-game span in the NHL this season. (matching similar stretches by CBJ, NYI, and TB).
- At the end of the first period last night, marked the the first time that the Leafs have been involved in a five-goal 1st period since December 28, 2010. They trailed Carolina 3-2 at end of 1st
- Last night also marked the fourth time this season the Leafs score three 1st-period goals. First since January 7 vs. Detroit (4-3 win)
- Kessel’s assist on Lupul’s goal last night was his 11th assist this February. It’s the most assists he’s had in one calendar month in his NHL career.
- The goal by Tyler Bozak in the opening minute, was the Leafs fourth 1st-minute goal this season. They were 3-0-0 in previous three, most recently @ EDM on February 15th, (Lupul @ 40 seconds)
- Mikhail Grabovski was tied for 2nd in NHL scoring in January (16 pts). He enters tonight tied for 147th in February (6 pts)
- As I write this, its March 1 —> Mar 1, 2002 - Vancouver said they would bill Belfour for damages to the visitors locker room for February 28th. He broke 2TVs, clock, VCR & damaged walls after he was pulled
Short URL for this post: http://tmblr.co/Zulh7wHHhZUF